A group of students from the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management Sant Ignasi, the Pere Tarrés School of Education and Social Work and the Blanquerna School of Health Science (all part of Ramon Llull University) spent 10 days in Colombia as part of an experience-based tourism trip. They were joined by students of different subjects from the Xavierian University of Bogotá.
The students stayed at the San Pedro Claver SJ Sanctuary, associated with the history of slavery. They visited different NGOs and other social and educational action centres, such as NGOs Casa Misión or the Loma Fresca Afro-Caribbean Cultural Centre.
More specifically, students had the opportunity to:
- Get a closer look at Latin America and Colombia through tourism development, health development and social action.
- Discover some of Colombia’s social welfare and healthcare needs, and the means used to try and satisfy these needs through either external help or local action.
- Discover possibilities for tourism development on the Caribbean coast, especially responsible and sustainable tourism initiatives.
- Have a cultural, religious and spiritual experience (the different traditions present are still closely tied to the Catholic religion).
- Step out of their comfort zone and experience different living conditions in terms of food, transportation, housing, etc.
After returning from the trip the students offered a very positive assessment of their experience, as it allowed them to “break with stereotypes. We discovered the wisdom and values that exist among people who were not able to receive a formal education.” In addition, students emphasized the hospitality they were shown everywhere they went.
This trip is one of the Study Tours organized and offered by HTSI as learning experiences beyond the academic portion of the Bachelor’s Degree in Tourism. Watch the video to discover the enriching Study Tours experience.
If you want to request information you can fill this form. One of our advisors will contact you in order to solve your doubts and offer you all the information that you need.